Thursday, December 13, 2012

A New Outlook on Bariatrics

Margery Swan
 
     This Monday we attended a joint class day hosted by the Johns Hopkins Bayview Dietetic Internship.  I was particularly looking forward to the second half of the day focusing on weight loss surgery or bariatrics.  Bariatrics was not a subject we spent much time on in my undergraduate studies and therefore I had been hesitant to form an opinion of my own.  I left the session with a new understanding of bariatric patients and why weight loss surgery may be the only option for some individuals. 
 
   Although weight loss surgery is not for every patient and should be considered only as a last resort it has the potential to improve someone's quality of life drastically.  For some patients it may even reverse certain chronic diseases, such as diabetes or hypertension. 
 
  As a fun way to sum up the session, I created the infographic below to highlight the different types of bariatric surgeries offered at John Hopkins Center for Bariatric Surgery. 

1 comment: