Sunday, October 6, 2013

Where's My Salt?


Imagine you are a student at the University of Maryland eating lunch with friends at the South Campus Diner. Like usual, you reach for the salt, but this time you only grasp air. You look around and notice that all of the salt shakers have been moved to a different location. Wonder why they’re gone?

I had the pleasure of contributing to the University of Maryland Dining Service’s initiative to help students decrease salt intake. Developing posters and table tents were some of the creative projects I put together. I learned how to design eye-catching material that would hopefully spark students’ interests in staying healthy. I also created wellness walls for the employees, encouraging them to limit sodium and use different seasonings instead.

My partner, Becky, and I had the opportunity to survey the students and get their views on the new initiative. A majority of the students were very receptive and appreciated Maryland’s efforts to help them stay healthy.  This act is just one way that the Dining Services team shows their care for the students’ well being. Additionally, the team prepares a large amount of food from scratch and uses fresh produce.

It was a joy to work with the Dining Services team and learn how they put the students first. As a recent Maryland grad, I appreciate knowing I had people like them looking out for me.



1 comment: