Friday, January 13, 2017

Establishing A Healthier Workplace: Welcome to Wellness Corporate Solutions

Anyone who knows me knows I’m interested in a nontraditional life as a Registered Dietitian. Nutrition is important to me, and fitness is as well. I found out about corporate wellness through my Director, and she gave me the opportunity to experience it firsthand as one of my technology rotations! I just finished my 5-week rotation at Wellness Corporate Solutions (WCS) in Bethesda, MD, and I loved it!

But wait -- what is Wellness Corporate Solutions?
Wellness Corporate Solutions is a state-of-the-art provider of biometric screening services and comprehensive wellness programming. They create customized, high-touch programming that emphasizes health education and promotes lasting behavior change.

What's it like?
When you walk in, the first thing you notice is the white infrastructure highlighted with bright green and blue. The colors pop, the atmosphere is friendly, and the stairs are high. This workplace is really practicing what they preach, complete with treadmill desks, standing desks, and exercise equipment. You don’t just work at WCS -- you walk, squat, lunge, and stretch, too.  WCS encourages their employees to be active at work by wearing workout gear. They have step challenges, salad Fridays, and yoga breaks.




What do Registered Dietitians do there?
Registered Dietitians (RDs) play an essential role in coaching participants to adopt healthy habits that work for them. RDs understand that everyone is different.  They work hard to help the coaching participant create their own unique goals that are specific, measurable, and attainable. The health coaches typically have 30 minute sessions with their participants where they provide support and accountability without pressuring their participants to fit into any one mold. They also write blog posts and create a monthly webinar. They have a robust network of RDs across all 50 states as well as a core group that I worked with at the headquarters in Bethesda, MD.

During my time there, I wrote numerous blog posts on several topics, created a webinar and a seminar, and gained exposure and insight on topics such as motivational interviewing and health coaching to create lasting behavior change.

Why is it important?
Wellness dietitians are changing the culture at work in positive, inspiring ways. They create healthy work programs and implement motivational interviewing based health coaching to establish lasting behavior change!


No comments:

Post a Comment