Thursday, November 10, 2011

Dinosaurs

My current rotation, at the International Food Information Center (IFIC) Foundation, focuses on communicating the latest food-related news to the public via the latest technologies.  Indeed, the IFIC Foundation makes it their responsibility to effectively communicate science-based information on health, nutrition and food safety to the public for the public’s good. The information they distribute is both timely – meaning that it relates to what’s in the media – and current, that is, up to date. This rotation speaks to my anxiety of becoming an “outdated” dietitian. Information on nutrition is constantly changing, largely due to new research and ever-changing technologies. 
Last week, I participated in an interview with Omega 3 “fat expert” Dr. Bill Harris. He will be discussing the Omega 6:3 ratio during a free webinar on December 1st. Here’s where my anxieties emerge: had I not been present for this opportunity, I may not have had such timely access to this new information on the Omega 6:3 ratio. Ultimately, I may have made inaccurate recommendations to my future patients, or created an inaccurate handout!
I think the anxiety of staying current is an issue in nearly every profession. But in health care, following current standards of practice is fundamental in providing optimal care to your patients. For that reason, it is so important for dietitians to use resources like IFIC’s website: www.foodinsight.org to keep abreast of new research and new methods for educating your audience. Resources such as these can also guide us in our responses to alarming food and nutrition information in the media :)

No comments:

Post a Comment