Monday, February 27, 2012

Satisfaction in Patient Centered Care


By: Lauren Hogan

Since starting my clinical rotation four weeks ago, I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how much I’ve enjoyed the experience! Coming right out of college, I probably had the least exposure to the clinical side of the dietetic practice, and I must admit that I was pretty nervous to start. However, I have three words to describe the experience so far: engaging, fast-pace, and satisfying. It is inevitable not to be engage by the clinical environment. Every day I am deciphering new medical terminology, learning about surgical procedures, and challenging my clinical judgment. There is hardly time for a dull moment in the hospital setting—the patient population is diverse, and I am constantly seeing new cases and disease conditions that keeps me on my toes. Yet, the most satisfying part of my job is helping the patients set personal nutrition-related health goals. It is easy as a dietitians to decide what is best for the patient; however, my patients seem to get the most out of our sessions when they decide their goals. I then individualize the information, tools, and skills necessary to enable them to achieve their nutritional goals. In patient centered care, I feel that I have the greatest sense of the patients' needs and can better tailor nutrition education to meet their goals. 

1 comment: