Wednesday, May 30, 2012

s/p intern (June 22, 2012)

I’m happy to report this is my last blog post!  That means I’ve almost officially survived being an intern.  It’s been a challenging, rewarding, and insightful past ten months.  I’ve learned more and grown more professionally than I ever could have imagined. 

Now it’s time to start switching gears out of intern mode and into job search mode.  Because I’m moving back to my hometown after graduation, my job search strategy  has been to network like crazy with as many RDs as possible who may be able to help me find a job in the area where I’m looking.  Some are preceptors at local rotations that I coordinated with my internship director to set up close home.  Other contacts are professionals I have met at conferences and meetings.  Everyone I’ve talked to has been more than willing to talk to me and offer any kind of help they can.  I’ve had people give me contact information for hiring managers and recruiters, offer to forward me job postings as they receive them, and even agree to allow me to come for rotations.  For me, the support from the RD community to an intern about to become a new RD has been very positive. 

I’m grateful for my experience as an intern and to my preceptors for teaching me so much!  Before I know it, my life as an intern will be over and I’ll be working as a Registered Dietitian!

1 comment: