Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Make Your Dreams Your Reality

On April 6th, 2014 my dream came true; I was accepted into a Dietetic Internship.  But let’s back track here quickly.  As I was applying to the internships I read a book that changed my life, The Secret by Rhonda Byrne.  I constantly reminded myself to stay positive during the waiting period.  I focused on the good and visualized myself in the University of Maryland Dietetic Internship program.  I highly suggest looking into the book or just accepting this train of thought for anyone who is going through the application process.  

While I was getting ready to make my move from New York down to Maryland, in light of a ton of nerves, excitement, and anticipation, I wrote down a few important goals to keep in mind.  Now that I’m about 10 weeks into the program, I still hold true to my goals and think of them each week.  I wanted to share them for anyone about to enter an internship, or any new adventure at any point in life. 


Take every possible opportunity.

This may sound cliché, but it is so true.  Take everything that comes your way.  What’s the worst that will happen?  Nothing I can think of.  Whether it’s a group workout class with the office or a health fair with no one you know, go for it and don’t stop there!  Grab dinner with your new internship (or work) friends and go to that extra event after work.  You’ll gain a new friend, a new experience, and so much more. 

Act like a sponge.

A dietetic internship is a unique time in life between undergraduate classes and work.  You are provided with the opportunity to meet and interact with so many different people.  Every person you meet has a story and something to teach.  Take advantage of this.  Write notes, capture mental memories, and absorb everything you possibly can.  Your director, the internship staff, and preceptors want to help you learn and watch you succeed.  Don’t forget that! 

Enjoy it all.

Whether you are in your hardest rotation, or simply a challenging time in life, there is always something positive to take out of every single situation.  Enjoy where you are right now in your life.  When you give off positive energy others will respond.  The internship will challenge you both intellectually as well as emotionally.  Whether it’s a 5:00am alarm or staying up late to finish homework, always remember that you are one step closer to your goal.  Enjoy it.  

Find time for yourself.

New beginnings can always create a sense of uneasy feelings or stress.  Make sure to create time for yourself.  Do something you enjoy; take a workout class, do a yoga video, cook a new meal, or simply sleep late on a Sunday.  But most importantly, take a second to be proud of yourself for starting this new adventure! 




Never stop seeking opportunities to capture your dream and never stop learning.  Set goals for yourself, talk with people you meet, stay positive, and always put your best foot forward.  Take a chance because who knows you may stumble upon the path to your dream. 





1 comment: